B.S./M.A.T. DEGREE COLLABORATION PROGRAM
The B.S. / M.A.T. (Master of Arts in Teaching) degree program is a partnership between Georgia Tech and Georgia State University. Eligible undergraduates can take six hours (6) of graduate level coursework at Georgia Tech which apply towards an undergraduate degree at Tech and a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree at Georgia State. The program enables you to start graduate school with six credit hours, which can save time and money. A Master of Arts in Teaching from Georgia State leads to certification to teach in the state of Georgia as well as a higher degree. Applicants apply for early acceptance into a Georgia State M.A.T. program.
- have completed at least 30 hours but not more than 90 hours of undergraduate coursework at Georgia Tech (excluding AP or transfer credits) when applying (there are policies regarding cross-registration during your last semester which may restrict you from participating in your last semester.) Check with the Registrar and your individual school and college.)
- have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Obtaining an Application
To obtain an application, please contact Susan Belmonte, GT Pre-Teaching Advisor.
Required Application Items
1. Completed B.S./M.A.T. application
2. Personal statement of goals and reasons for wanting to teach
3. Two – three letters of recommendation: (a) one academic or professional letter; (b) one letter from someone who can evaluate your personal qualifications, experience, and background in light of potential to work successfully with adolescents; (c) one letter from a current work supervisor, if applicable
4. Documentation of previous work experience (résumé or curriculum vitae)
5. Successful interview with appropriate program faculty in the Georgia State College of Education and Human Development
Submit all documents directly to Susan Belmonte, Pre-Teaching Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available M.A.T. Programs
Because of the structure and requirements of the M.A.T. programs at Georgia State, Georgia Tech undergraduates wishing to pursue the B.S./M.A.T. program may only pursue one of the following and must be able to take graduate coursework in their content area at Georgia Tech that will be accepted by the specific GSU M.A.T. program applied for.
Middle Level (grades 4 - 8) Education M.A.T. programs:
- Math and Science - only the science courses can be taken at Georgia Tech; mathematics courses will be taken at Georgia State once fully in the M.A.T. program
- Secondary (grades 6 -12) Education: Biology, Broad Field Science, Chemistry, Earth Science, Mathematics, Physics, Social Studies (only History, Geography, Political Science or Economics)
Programs not eligible for the B.S./M.A.T. collaboration (but available for regular admission):
Elementary Education, English for Speakers of Other Languages, Middle Level Education English and Language Arts, Secondary Education English
Final acceptance into the M.A.T. program will be contingent upon the following:
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA at Georgia Tech of 3.0 or higher
- Completion of undergraduate degree in a field appropriate for the chosen M.A.T. program
- Filing an application to the M.A.T. program at Georgia State by the appropriate deadline
- GRE not required
Georgia Tech students in the B.S./M.A.T. program are required to maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 for the six (6) hours of graduate level credit to apply to the B.S. degree at Georgia Tech and to the M.A.T. at Georgia State. Upon receipt of a B.S. degree from Tech, participants will complete the remaining requirements of the M.A.T. program while attending Georgia State.