B.S./M.A.T. DEGREE COLLABORATION PROGRAM
The B.S. / M.A.T. (Master of Arts in Teaching) degree program is a partnership between Georgia Tech and Georgia State University. The program allows eligible undergraduates to take six hours (6) of graduate level coursework which apply towards an undergraduate degree at Tech and a Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) degree at Georgia State. The program enablesyou to start graduate school with six credit hours, which saves time and money. A Master of Arts in Teaching leads to certification to teach in the state of Georgia as well as a higher degree. Applicants apply for early acceptance into a Georgia State M.A.T. program.
- have completed at least 30 hours but not more than 90 hours of undergraduate coursework at Georgia Tech (excluding AP or transfer credits) when applying (there are policies regarding cross-registration during your last semester which may restrict you from participating in your last semester. Check with the Registrar and your individual school and college.)
- have earned a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0.
Obtaining an Application
To obtain an application, please contact Susan Belmonte, the Pre-Teaching Advisor
Required Application Items
1. Completed B.S./M.A.T. application
2. Personal statement of goals and reasons for wanting to teach
3. Two - three letters of recommendation: (a) one academic or professional letter; (b) one letter from someone who can evaluate the your personal qualifications, experience, and background in light of potential to work successfully with adolescents; (c) one letter from a current work supervisor, if applicable
4. Documentation of previous work experience (resume or curriculum vitae)
5. Successful interview with appropriate program faculty in the Georgia State College of Education
Submit all documents directly to Susan Belmonte, Pre-Teaching Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Available M.A.T. Programs
- middle level (grades 4 - 8): Language Arts/Social Studies or Mathematics/Science
- secondary (grades 6 -12) education: Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, English
grades K -12: English Speakers of Other Languages/Reading, Language and Literacy
Final acceptance into the M.A.T. program will be contingent upon the following:
- Maintaining a cumulative GPA at Georgia Tech of 3.00 or higher
- Completion of undergraduate degree in a field appropriate for the chosen M.A.T. program
- Filing an application to the M.A.T. program at Georgia State by the appropriate deadline.
- GRE not required
Georgia Tech students in the B.S./M.A.T. program are required to maintain a GPA of at least 3.0 for the six (6) hours of graduate level credit to apply to the B.S. degree at Georgia Tech and to the M.A.T. at Georgia State. The coursework for the joint program may be in the appropriate discipline at Georgia Tech or in required coursework of the chosen M.A.T. program at Georgia State. Classes may be on Tech's campus or at Georgia State. Upon receipt of a B.S. degree from Tech, participants will complete the remaining requirements of the M.A.T. program while attending Georgia State.