RESUMES AND COVER LETTERS
Resumes and cover letters should be customized for each position that you apply for in your job search. Materials for a job at an engineering firm or a publishing house will look different than those for a K-12 teahcing job. For this reason, using templates found online are often not the best way to create your professional presentation of yourself.
Elements to include on a teaching job resume for K-12 positions should be those that are directly related to teaching and those that have given you skills that transfer into teaching. For example, effective communication, creative expression, organization, and other skills are key to being a successful teacher, and you can gain these types of skills in a number of ways. Some information that should be on your resume:
- evidence of experience working with K-12 aged students (tutor, mentor, camp counselor, coach, nanny, etc.)
- evidence of expereince of teaching in general (peer tutoring, college instructor, teaching assistant, etc.)
- internships and co-ops
- skills category with headings (e.g., Spoken Languages: French (fluent); English (fluent)
- community engagement (on-campus and off) and leadership
- awards and scholarships
- study and work abroad
- significant projects (course and capstone)
collegiate-level competition experience (music, athletics, mock trial, etc.)
CENTER FOR CAREER DISCOVERY AND DEVELOPMENT (C2D2) RESOURCES
The Center for Career Discovery and Development offers many resources. They include:
Pre-Teaching Advisement and Website
- Pre-Teaching Advisor, Susan Belmonte
Susan can help you discern if teaching is a good fit for you. She can help you with your job searches (public and private schools), graduate school applications, and creation of resumes and cover letters for teaching jobs. She can help you network with recruiters and alumni who are teaching.
- Pre-Teaching website - You're already on it!
- Pre-Teaching newsletter - Subscribe to firstname.lastname@example.org and get the weekly newsletter in your inbox. Stay informed about jobs, volunteering, scholarships, etc. related to teaching. You can also see it on this site.
- Career Research Tools
- C2D2 Video Series: How to Craft a Resume; How to Craft a Cover Letter That Will Get Read